We're shrinking! At the beginning of the year (hooray for New Year's resolutions and too-tight pants) we decided we've been feeling a little fluffy lately. So Chad got a Paleo diet book and started that. I joined Weight Watchers, determined to get rid of this "baby weight" since my kid is almost twelve years old. Chad swore that he LOVED the Paleo diet! So much meat! Eight pounds down in a week! And then he got tired of having to make himself special meals every night, since I, being the supportive diet wife that I am, adamantly refused to play Sous Chef for both my practically-vegan daughter and for him. Now he is on Weight Watchers with me and we're both down ten pounds. To celebrate we took a road trip to Tortilla Flats today and ate at a nasty hole-in-the-wall diner. We enjoyed every minute of it. We may have to rethink our reward system.
And now that I'm down a pant size I'm going to try to go up a few sizes. Because the time has finally come, peoples. The thing we've been talking about forEVER is finally going to happen.
Here's the deal. I'll write this all down so you don't have to ask. Because I know you're wondering, and I'm the sharing type. Chad has a blockage that prevents his little swimmers from escaping. They basically just swim around in little circles in there. So they will surgically cut them out of him and individually inject each sperm into the eggs they will harvest from me, after I get done injecting myself with three different drugs two times a day for a few weeks. They will put these "embryos" in a petri dish to grow for a few days and then transfer them into my uterus after I inject myself with a bunch of additional hormones so that my body will be tricked into accepting the embryos. Will Chad kill me for telling this all to the Internet? Maybe. But it's not like it's his fault. It's just something that happened when he was a kid and there's no amount of praying or hoping that will make us a baby. Seriously, the next person who says, "Well, you never know! Maybe you should just stop trying! God works in mysterious ways. We have this friend....." is going to get a fundal punch. We do know. We have stopped trying for seven years. You can't make a baby without sperm. I understand that those people just don't know what to say and are just trying to make me feel better, but these kinds of things do not make me feel better. They only frustrate me. All I need is someone to cry to when I watch everyone around me have babies. Or just a hug. (Or hey, how about a few thousand dollars?) I will even take the prayers (despite my atheist leanings) as long as they are for the in-vitro to work this time. We're going to need every bit of positive vibe/prayer/voodoo magic we can get. I won't be choosy, please send it our way. As long as you aren't worried about a little Chad/Corinne cross loose in the world. A klutzy, homicidal, mouthy little asshole that we can call our own. Awwwww.
I know I've been talking about this for a few years, but we've had a few roadblocks. A deployment to a war zone. A running-binge-induced foot surgery for me. A few moves.
But we're DOING IT.
I signed up for benefits at work because they cover $5000 toward the procedure. We've finally been informed that the army has placed his reenlistment bonus for payment in the next month. (We've been waiting for a YEAR for it, geeeeez. And yes, he re-signed. The guy is Army Man. I've come to terms with it.) We've talked to the new doctor's office about the costs. (About $13,000 with meds.) I've decided that I will live with my busted foot for now because I am sick of this getting sidetracked. (Limping is fun.) So as soon as Chad is back home from his next army school (this month) we're giving it our last and final shot. The last time we did this it was stressful and scary and expensive and I was in the middle of taking my nursing license exam and we didn't know what to expect. And even though it will still be terrifying this time I feel like we have a better idea of what we are facing. I've got a stable job, Chad has a stable job. It will still be pricey and we are not rich, but if all the crackheads out there can have babies so can we. We're good parents. Emma is a happy kid, if a tad spoiled. We deserve to have the chance to have a baby, just like everyone else. So here we go again!
I'm planning on walking through this with you, Internet. It might suck. But it might be completely awesome in the end.
You can cry to me anytime, I'm a good listener and a great vicarious through-the-internet hugger. (That actually sounds slightly pornographic... sorry).
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about do-gooders who say the wrong thing because they just want to help, and I think you rock for standing up and saying "it's not helping, so cut it out." You've always stood up for yourself and I admire that about you. You're one of my heroes, and heroes deserve awards and rewards, so I hope you get your little munchkin. *long-distance-hug*